Sunday, December 14, 2014

Summer Goal: Canning Heirloom Tomatoes

My paternal grandmother, Pearl, always canned tomatoes, peaches, pickles, and lots of other amazing goodies that she shared with her children, grandchildren and close family friends. I was handed down her canning pot and have been wanting to can some tomatoes for myself for years but never got around to it until a few months back in August. 


Dad picked up the heirloom tomatoes and peaches at the farmer's market in Charlotte while I got the mason jars, canning book and other canning items at Target, which had all sorts of canning goodies to help me in my canning goals!


I blanched the tomatoes then added lemon juice and salt to the jars before sealing in the canning jar. For comparison, this entire basket was filled with tomatoes and I only ended up with 7 jars of tomatoes! This was partially because it was late in the season and some of the tomatoes weren't usable. 


This is an activity that I thought would take a couple of hours and ended up taking the entire afternoon. While it did take a long time, I'm so glad I did this and will absolutely can more tomatoes next year! I've really enjoyed using these tomatoes to make homemade tomato basil soup and marinara sauce that tastes so fresh and just like summer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment